Cubic offers an opportunity to provide innovative technology for government and commercial customers around the globe, helping to solve their future problems today. We’re the leading integrator of payment and information technology and services for intelligent travel solutions worldwide, and the leading provider of realistic combat training systems, secure communications and networking and highly specialized support services for military and security forces of the U.S. and allied nations. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and thrive in an innovative environment, we want to talk to you about your next role at Cubic! We are seeking employees inspired by technology, and motivated by the rewards of hard work, commitment, teamwork, quality, integrity, and respect. We invite you to explore opportunities with Cubic.
Job Title: Senior Unix Administrator
- As an active member of the IT Unix Team, the Senior Unix Administrator (Remediator) will be responsible for developing a broad knowledge of the infrastructure implementation and requirements for assigned Unix and Linux related systems, carrying out system administration and duties related to the ongoing design, development, delivery and support of Cubic’s platforms and services.
- The primary function of the Senior Unix Administrator (Remediator) will be to ensure that all systems under the control of the IT Unix Team are kept up to date for all patching and non-patch-based remediation. This primarily includes Solaris, RHEL, CentOS, Veritas Infoscale Availability, HPE Hardware, Oracle SPARC and X86 servers, Storage Arrays and FC Switches. This is to ensure that systems meet PCI-DSS, GDPR and other security requirements.
- The Senior Unix Administrator (Remediator) will work alongside a wide range of stakeholders including management, technology architects and technology staff to assist in the lifecycle of assigned client services, from design and development, through to implementation and on-going support.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintaining an estate of Solaris and Linux servers running mission critical customer applications.
- Systems Administration of Solaris and Linux systems.
- Patching, remediation and support of Solaris and Linux systems.
- Patching, remediation and support of backup, archive and restore using tools such as Veritas Netbackup.
- Perform day to day system administration (such as user creation, disk configuration, troubleshooting, etc…).
- Storage management using tools such as ZFS or LVM.
- Work to ITIL best practice service support and change management processes.
- Providing support to the application support teams and DBAs.
- Act in concert with patching, test and change management teams within Cubic.
- Understand issues with operating systems and applications that need remediations and be able to investigate solutions, carry out suitable testing and then deploy to production systems
- Liaise with other teams to ensure that remediation is carried out for applications that are outside of the IT Unix Team’s remit.
- Be prepared to carry out tasks outside of normal office hours to ensure that remediation tasks have a limited impact on ongoing services
- Implementing server hardening standards as advised by Information Security team.
- Assemble server hardware when required.
- Maintain register of IT assets.
- Comply with Cubic’s values and adherence to all company policy and procedures. In particular comply with the code of conduct, quality, security and occupational health, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the job holder is required to perform other duties assigned by their manager from time-to-time, as may be reasonably required of them.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Skills knowledge and experience:
Essential relevant and recent experience at an appropriate level in either –
Solaris 10 or 11 Systems Administration
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 / CentOS 7 Systems Administration
Ideally relevant and recent experience at an appropriate level in –
- Solaris Repositories
- Solaris Boot Environments
- Solaris Zones and LDOMs
- Solaris ZFS
- Sun/Oracle SPARC based hardware
- Red Hat Satellite Server or Foreman and Katello
- Red Hat Logical Volume Manager
- Veritas Infoscale Availability
- Centrify/AD Integration for Solaris and Linux
- Unix Bourne & Korn Shell Scripting, Perl, AWK
- Vulnerability management tools, such as Qualys and Nessus
It is essential that the employee develops skills and experience at an appropriate level in each of the above. Training can be provided in either Solaris or Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS.
Education and qualifications
- A pass in GCSE Mathematics and English Language or equivalent qualification.
- Formal Unix administration training.
- Oracle Certified Associate or Oracle Certified Professional in Solaris.
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator or a Red Hat Certified Engineer.
- A university degree, or equivalent qualification, in a numerate subject (e.g. Computer Science, maths, engineering, natural science).
- Must be able to be flexible in relation to working hours and location.
- Ability to work non-standard hours for planned maintenance events
- Written and spoken English of high quality, with good communication and documentation skills.
- Ability to work alone and under pressure.
- A self-motivated and proactive individual able to work with minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail and adherence to procedures.
- Possessing a methodical and structured approach to analysing production issues.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability and willingness to learn on the job.
- Proven ability to work in a team.
- Ability and willingness to knowledge share with colleagues.
- Candidate will be required to complete a disclosure and barring service check.
- Physically able to undertake the manual handling requirements of the role.
- Hold a driving licence and have relevant insurance cover (business insurance) and own car for travelling to and from data centres and Cubic sites.
The description provided above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties, responsibilities and requirements. Duties, responsibilities and requirements may change over time and according to business need.