STEM Returners are recruiting for our brand new ‘return to work’ scheme with transportation technology firm Cubic!
Cubic offers an opportunity to provide innovative technology for government and commercial customers around the globe, helping to solve their future problems today. We’re the leading integrator of payment and information technology and services for intelligent travel solutions worldwide, and the leading provider of realistic combat training systems, secure communications and networking and highly specialized support services for military and security forces of the U.S. and allied nations. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and thrive in an innovative environment, we want to talk to you about your next role at Cubic! We are seeking employees inspired by technology, and motivated by the rewards of hard work, commitment, teamwork, quality, integrity, and respect. We invite you to explore opportunities with Cubic.
This role applies systems engineering processes and skills to systematically convert customer requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule and cost constraints. Responsible for systems planning, system and lower level requirements development, system design, analyses and trade studies, hardware/software design oversight, system integration, system level test oversight, and subcontractor technical oversight.
Provide input and support for project risk management activities.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Requirements analysis, capture and decomposition on large integration projects. This will naturally involve customer engagement/workshops and provide/manage compliancy status with all internal/external stakeholders
- Technical leadership and responsibility in the analysis and design of cost-effective system solutions, to agreed timescales and budgets and to a high standard of engineering
- Create, analyses and document solutions traceable to the customer, business and solution requirements in accordance with Cubic’s processes and system engineering methodologies. This involves generating system architecture designs, functional designs, interfaces specifications, statements of work, integration and test strategies and any relevant systems engineering artefacts
- Lead the integration, verification, validation, and qualification planning and definition activities, and lead and participate in those activities as required
- Produce detailed Systems Engineering estimates and technical specifications (SOW) for proposals and budgeting purposes
- Provide input regarding systems engineering tasks to project planners and plans
- Work collaboratively with other management and engineering disciplines to ensure project objectives are met
- Prepare and present systems proposals to customers and provide technical support to sales and marketing activity
- Report to management on Systems Engineering performance against specification, budget, timescale and quality requirements, to identify deviations from plan and carry out corrective action
- Evaluate design, development and integration executed by subcontractors against Cubic’s requirements
- Participate in formal meetings with customers and subcontractors and to travel to customers’ sites to perform or supervise activities
- Keep up to date on the latest developments in systems engineering, computers, microprocessors, communications systems and software techniques relevant to the company’s operation
- Develop and promote quality engineering practices in the department and support Systems Engineering process improvement projects and promotion of quality engineering practices in the department
- Train, coach and mentor less-experienced members of the department in order to foster their career development
- Travel domestically or internationally as required to meet the needs of any given project
- Comply with Cubic’s values and adherence to all company policy and procedures. Comply with the code of conduct, quality, security and occupational health, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the job holder is required to perform other duties assigned by their manager from time-to-time, as may be reasonably required of them.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Skills knowledge and experience:
- Demonstrable experience in:
o requirements analysis preferably using a formal requirements management tool
o system definition, design and control
o solution integration, verification and validation
o systems engineering methodologies
- Proven track record of providing technical expertise on complex integration projects
- Stakeholder/customer management experience
- Aware of software development best practice and able to apply standards and procedures effectively
- Ability to create high quality documentation and presentation skills
- Experience in ticketing and automated fare collection, or similar applications involving large networks of unattended/passenger-operated devices
- Demonstrable knowledge of implementing the certification requirements of systems and devices in accordance to Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards
- Experience of requirements management, ideally using the DOORS product
- Tool driven system design using UML and Enterprise Architect or another structured methodology
- Implementation and deployment knowledge from Windows and UNIX environments
- Knowledge of financial and regulatory practices within business.
Education and qualifications
- Engineering Degree in relevant discipline or equivalent qualification/experience
- Demonstrable and solid experience as a system engineer on complex integration projects
- Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent qualification/experience
- INCOSE certification
- ITIL certification
- A self-motivated and proactive individual able to work with minimal supervision
- Quick to build client relationships and earn their respect through sound judgement and a positive attitude
- Commercially aware and able to protect Cubic’s business interests while striving to deliver superior products and services
- Possessing a methodical and structured approach to analysing business processes
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Proven ability to influence and lead a team
- Proven ability to pick up new skills quickly and effectively
- Potential for advancement
- Ability to travel
We are a proud partner of WES (Women in Engineering Society). We know that people have diverse backgrounds, with different skills, knowledge and life experiences. We value these differences, using them to create a better community and a stronger workforce. We want to create a working environment that values each customer and employee, ensuring that services are delivered that suit all sections of the community.