The Senior Design Engineer is a key role in the Small Boats Design team and is responsible for providing design and drafting capability across a broad spectrum of projects. The Senior design engineer will be supporting new build, development and post design projects for small craft.
Succesful returners will:
• Participate in a wide range of activities including systems design, marine engineering, concept design, detailed design, support to build, delivery and in service support to the small boats sector.
• Working as part of a multi-functional team, they will lead minor engineering projects, developing requirements into solutions and providing appropriate engineering evidence for the SDA as well as provide Mentoring and technical leadership and guidance to junior team members.
• The successful applicant will be experienced in the use of CAD software to create 3D models and 2D drawings, for a wide range of products from small components to whole vessel systems.
• As the designs progress through the manufacturing, test, delivery and support lifecycle, the successful applicant will manage the Engineering Changes for their area of responsibility against a robust change management process.
As a Senior Design engineer your main responsibilities will involve:-
• Lead minor engineering projects from requirements definition through to delivery.
• Provide sound estimates for engineering work carried out.
• Providing technical guidance to other team members.
• Collate evidence and present solutions so as to provide assurance to the SDA and other stakeholders.
• Create detailed 3D models and 2D drawings, for a wide range of products from small components to whole vessel systems. Produce drawings in accordance with BS8888 Engineering Drawing standards.
• Carry out small craft systems and marine engineer design tasks.
• Liaise with sub-contract manufacturers and suppliers regarding design solutions.
• Implement design changes and provide post-delivery support and resolve obsolescence issues.
• Carry out engineering calculations as required for the project in their area of expertise.
• Conducting all activities in a professional manner delivering design solutions to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project or business milestones
• Ensuring that work is undertaken in accordance with Company, Safety, Environmental, contractual and local business processes, standards, procedures and documentation
• Drafting, vetting and editing technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that technical findings can be successfully communicated with recipients
• Participation in the preparation and submission of technical proposals and tenders as directed by bid the manager in order to provide costed proposals for future work under the authority of the SDA.
• Maintaining accurate records of all design related work in accordance with relevant extant procedures to ensure a complete design record of work undertaken
• Ensuring adequate integration with other engineering functions involved with a particular task or program of work to ensure all aspects of the design solution are considered
• Liaison with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors and customers as required to satisfy the needs of project or the business
• When appropriate, the supervision of undergraduates or young persons assigned for training to assist in the development of their knowledge and skills.