The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer applies fundamental engineering principles, procedures and techniques to perform complex mechanical engineering assignments. Writing and managing sub-system requirements forms part of the role. They will follow designated standards, processes and procedures in all areas of the design lifecycle. This includes preliminary conceptual design, specifying/conducting simulation and understanding the results, critical detailed design, prototyping, testing and final design and documentation and release to production. They will be expected to lead medium to high value pieces of work involving other engineers from the same or differing discipline and non-engineers within the company and will be accountable for the work. This position typically works under little to no supervision and regularly exercises discretionary and substantial decision making authority.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the development of equipment interfaces and procurement specifications.
- Designs mechanical structures, components, and subsystems.
- Prepares design specifications, analysis and recommendations including simulation.
- Conducts subsystem prototype assembly – Identify, design, build and test subsystems.
- Writes and manages sub system requirements and verification methods.
- Recommends test control methods, pass/fail criteria, strategies, apparatus and equipment.
- Assists in the specification and analysis of simulation to mitigate design errors.
- Supports interfaces with customers, contractors and vendors.
- Evaluates vendor capabilities to provide required products or services.
- Conducts in-house design reviews and technical meetings.
- Leads project teams, delegates project tasks and guides the project team.
- Prepares design proposals to reflect cost, schedule and technical approaches.
- Supports root cause analysis investigations.
- Monitors project status and progress (SPI/CPI).
- Supports/Prepares estimates for low to medium value pieces of work.
- Applies and maintains quality standards.
- Champions high standard of engineering change and release (PLM).
- Keep up to date on the latest Engineering techniques, materials and manufacturing methods.
- Comply with Cubic’s values and adherence to all company policy and procedures.
- Assist in the hiring of new mechanical engineering team members.
- Co-ordination and prioritization of multiple tasks and proven record of delivering on time and in budget.
- Ability to perform complex theoretical and analytical problem solving tasks.
- Experience in specification and analysing simulation to mitigate design errors.
- Ability to conduct basic engineering calculations.
- Experience leading project teams of varying experience levels.
- Experience in peer reviewing other designers work.
- Experience using 3D Solid modelling software Solidworks or equivalent with experience of using CAD data management systems.
- Prepare estimates for low to medium value pieces of work.
- Experience in writing and reviewing technical reports and specifications.
- Experience of reviewing customer requirements and writing subsystem requirements.
- Experience of designing sheet metal components.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Affective communication both verbal and written.
- Ability to communicate at high levels and to non-technical people.
- Good, affective attention to detail.
- Ability to use typical office software such as MS Word, MS Excel and MS Powerpoint.
- Has a desire to develop knowledge and career in mechanical engineering design.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team.
- Experience in project plan development, maintenance and execution
- Previous experience of designing revenue collection equipment including vending machines or special purpose machinery.
- Understanding of global compliance such as CE marking, C Tick.
- Understanding of Scrum methodology.
- Achieved Prince 2 foundation or practitioner level.
- Mebership or working towards membership of an engineering professional body.
- Good understanding of rapid prototyping methods.
- Experience of 3D printing.
- Experience of designing plastic injection moulded parts and/or die castings.
- Experience using 2D Autocad.
- Experience of running simulations such as FEA using ANSYS or equivalent software.
- Wide range of manufacturing technique knowledge
- The description provided above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties, responsibilities and requirements. Duties, responsibilities and requirements may change over time and according to business need.