STEM Returners are delighted to be searching for an Embedded Software Design Engineer on behalf of one of our partner companies.
This role is catered towards candidates returning or transferring into the industry, for more information on the programme, click here.
Embedded product software design for Wireless Video / IP transmission Development within a System-on-Chip silicon architecture Work as a key part of an experienced wider development team developing embedded code for new feature implementation, as well as performance enhancements of the existing unique selling points of the matured software defined radio (SDR) platform
• Software Design: Develop embedded systems software using both high level and low-level languages (such as C, C++) to interface to external systems, FPGAs and on-board hardware, delivering software that meets the product requirements. Contribute to the maintenance and improvements of the released and stable products. Develop in modular fashion, helping the team overall be more efficient in code reuse and code readability. Design application programming interface (API) with ‘ease of use’ in mind and to fit the existing products structure and style.
• FPGA SoC: Work within a SoC FPGA architecture; contributing into a multi-disciplinary team which includes hardware designers, mechanical designers and other multidisciplinary team members.
• System Design: Understand the functional requirements of products or larger systems and devise efficient solutions for sub-systems. Work with other members of the team to create appropriate interfaces to achieve the overall product goals.
• Requirements Capture: Liaise with stakeholders to identify, interpret and prioritise requirements for new products. This is typically in response to specific customer tenders or the evolution of product requirements.
• Quality and Process: Ensuring that appropriate processes and disciplines are maintained to engineer excellent quality product. Responsibility to understand the processes, procedures and people required to complete the task and engage constructively with all of them.
• Customer Support: Engineers are likely to have to help support customers during the new product introduction process. This may entail occasional customer visits, email, face-to-face meetings and telephone support.
• Production Support: Supporting the introduction of new products into the DTC New Product Introduction process, as required.
• Software Design: C/C++ programming for embedded systems. Use of version control systems for source code e.g. SVN, Git.
• Experience of embedded software development environments.
• Mathematical skills – the ability to understand or learn basic embedded systems control algorithms.
• Familiarity and experience of appropriate test equipment (or software test processes) for signal analysis and debug.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications, Windows operating system.