Have you taken a break from engineering and want to return to STEM? BAE Systems are searching for a Design Engineer to be a part of a STEM Returners programme at their site in Portsmouth.
• Operate within the functionality of the appropriate tools and techniques (e.g. Autocad, Inventor, Foran etc) as directed by his/her supervisor.
• Produce and develop designs in line with specifications and all quality and technical standards, and carry out detail design appraisals in assigned areas to ensure all standards are maintained, taking due cognisance of Designing for Production.
• Carry out investigations into operational problems or developments, develop, and prepare solutions, individually or as a member of a team.
• Support the development of best practice to increase the capability, performance of tools and processes
• To identify personal training requirements, skills gaps and development requirements in own discipline.
• Keep up to date in relevant technical areas, develop skills and capabilities to be able to provide more effective services (seeking and sharing good practice and knowledge to continuously improve practices), and supply technical support and expertise to others as required.
• Conduct ship trials and surveys.
Additional Key Accountabilities:
• Provide help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working and their development.
• Be cognisant of assigned budgets,
• Advise/instruct apprentices and trainees of similar discipline in the technical content of work.
• Answer Technical queries about his/her own work and that of subordinates within their level of knowledge and competency.
- Relevant experience in design engineering or a related role.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
The STEM Returners Programme is a 13-week paid placement where your skills and application will be assessed. Candidates who show the necessary aptitude to work for BAE Systems may be offered a permanent position on completion of their programme.