Why work at AWE?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours (including Bank Holidays) of annual leave – plus every other Friday off work!
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts – access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing – more information available on our careers site
What will you be involved in?
You will be part of the TEUTATES Programme, which fulfils the UK obligations laid out in the TEUTATES Treaty, signed in 2010, between the UK and France. This treaty outlines the commitments by each nation to co-operate more closely on Hydrodynamic Trials (Nuclear Deterrent Research and Development). The TEUTATES project will deliver a one-of-a-kind international capability for underwriting nuclear explosive simulations in France and the UK.
The Programme consists of 5 projects that deliver a combination of leading-edge X-Ray technology, explosive vessels, nuclear assembly operations and complex command & control systems. You will work as part of the engineering team to deliver the full capability of this facility and see it meet it’s objective of underpinning the UK’s Continuous At Sea Deterrent (CASD).
You will be producing designs for the Facility Design Authority (FDA) such that utilities, infrastructure, engineering processes, equipment and facilities are compliant with legislation, standards and requirements associated with engineering design throughout the facility lifecycle.
You will be responsible for the following:
- Partnering with the Engineering Manager in assessing the suitability of the facility design for the next phase of the lifecycle (e.g. tender; construction; commissioning; handover)
- Supporting oversight of the facility design as it develops via facilitating routine reviews
- Supporting the Engineering Manager in managing the Design Intent and Design Information Configuration from inception through to project handover
- Providing functional support in identifying and implementing change, development and improvement
- Setting up meetings and reviews and managing stakeholders
- Gathering data and technical information to support the project
- Acting as first point of contact for technical queries
- Maintaining technical query and change registers
- Producing draft project governance documents; plans, certificates etc.
The hiring manager is keen to consider Engineers with either a mechanical, electrical, Control & Instrumentation (C&I) OR Civil Engineering background.
We’d love to hear from individuals with the following:
- HNC/HND qualification or a graduate with industry experience
- Experience of supporting the delivery of cross-discipline design packages in a multi-discipline environment
- Experience of maintaining design information configuration control for the life of a project
- Experience of supporting Senior Engineers with the delivery of projects, using structured methodologies
- Experience developing and delivering design solutions
All candidates must be able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas.
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role at AWE.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country’s nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
- Aldermaston, Berkshire